Monday, May 09, 2005

Breakfast at Suzie's

I love breakfast. As teenager, I thought it was gross. Toast, cereal, eggs—I wanted none of it. But I also thought I was fat, Michael Jackson was cool, and frozen yogurt was a nutritious lunch. Oh how far I've come since the 80's. Now that I understand the allure of a good breakfast, I celebrate it in all its different forms, from a simple bowl of cereal, to an elaborate brunch buffet, to the delicious Dim Sum adventure.

Every time someone comes to visit, Suzie makes granola. On my recent trip to NY, she made a delectable batch of crunchy granola, even using pecans, my favorite nut. The beauty of granola is that you can alter the recipe and adapt it to almost any preference. It's the best kind of recipe, because you basically just chuck a bunch of ingredients in a bowl, mix, and bake. The end result is a nutty, crunchy, toasty mixture that's so much better than the stuff you buy in the store. Suzie mixes hers with fruit and yogurt. I think that's still my favorite way to eat granola, but it's great with milk, sprinkled over ice cream, eaten plain, or any other way you can think of to enjoy it. The following is a picture of the granola I enjoyed at Suzie's. I'm also including a recipe. I encourage you to change it to suit your own taste. Just remember, if you want to add fruit, fresh or dried, add it afterwards, when the granola is done baking and has cooled.



Granola:

3 Cups rolled oats, such as Quaker (Don't use Quick Oats)
1.5 Cups roughly chopped raw pecans
75ml Oil (You can use canola or any other flavorless oil. 75ml = approx. 1/3 cup)
75ml Maple syrup

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Mix oats and pecans in a large bowl. Whisk oil and syrup together and add to the oat/pecan mixture.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the mixture out on the lined tray in one layer.

Bake for about 1.5 hours. Check every 10 min. or so, turning the granola with a spatula to brown it on all sides. When it's browned and crunchy, it's done. Rely more on your opinion of done than the baking time recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home