Monday, May 16, 2005

31 Flavors, And Then Some

On this day, 31 years ago, 32 actually, if you go by actual time spent on the planet, I was born. What? You're telling me you didn't know? Fuggeddaboudit. We cool.

I like birthdays. They are silly excuses to get free stuff. Go to a restaurant, get a free dessert. And probably an embarassing serenade of Happy Birthday from the waitstaff. But hey, that was free too. People smile a lot on your birthday. They get really excited for you, even if they've just met you. Like you're doing something special, you've summited some invisible mini-mountain, when all you're doing is living through another day. That's cool though. I like to celebrate small achievements. Because if you combine all the small achievements, you get the big ones.

All I've done today is wake up. Actually, I received a birthday phone call from Suzie (thanks!) and now I'm writing. But as they say in my lovely home state, it's all good. My grand plans for the day are to go to the gym, do a little shopping, watch the fog burn off as it's promised to do, get a scoop of Baskin Robbins ice cream (31 flavors, baby), and hang out with some friends at one of my favorite bars in the city. All in all, it looks to be a great day.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy life, fog and all. I plan to try the recipe for pickled carrots (sounds weird but they're sooo good) that I love from Gilbert's El Indio tomorrow. I'll post the recipe as soon as I sort it out. They only gave me the ingredients, not the quantities. So if anyone knows of the Spanish recipe for pickled carrots, possibly known as escaveche (which is usually for marinating fish or chicken), please let me know.

3 Comments:

Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

as they say,
hippo birdy two ewes!

I loved turning 30 and so the years after that were wonderful too. I cross-dressed on my 31st bday to surprise my all american co-workers and wore lipstick too, (mostly so I could kiss the sous chef, leave a mark and make him tell people all night who had done it!)

also I am so glad that ic at Baskin Robbins is on the bday agenda. I will always love mint chocolate chip and rocky road!

5/16/2005 5:42 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks! I'm digging my thirties too. I finally feel like my actual age matches my personality. It's quite a relief. And we seem to share an ice cream brain. Mint Choc Chip and Rocky Road hold my one and two spots in ice creams priorities. :)

5/18/2005 11:44 AM  
Blogger go go zo said...

This post was so long ago, I'm not even sure you will get this. That all being said, do you have the Gilbert's carrot recipe????? I live in NY now and therefore have resorted to the idea of making them myself since it's such a long plane ride...

1/15/2008 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home