Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Writing and eating, but not writing about eating.

Dear friends, readers, and fellow food lovers,

With minimal fanfare and an embarassed look of my face, I'm back. I can't believe it's been this long. I never intended to have such a lapse in my blog, but it happened. It's like going to the gym. Once you get out of the routine, it becomes okay not to go, and then you stop going altogether. Sometimes it amuses me what creatures of habit we are.

I'd like to thank each and every friend and new friend who commented on my blog in the past month. Your comments are all so sweet and heartfelt and I appreciate each and every one. I think part of the reason for my absence has been trying to figure out where I stand in the whole foodie dating a non-foodie thing. We are still doing well, but for a while there I felt like his blasé food attitude was contagious. I found myself uninspired to talk about food because I was embarrased to be so excited about it in his presence. But then I realized, it's okay if he looks at me funny when I wax philosophical about the amazing grapes we bought at the market. (So crunchy, sweet, tart, and delicious!) Maybe my non-blasé attitude will rub off on him! I only considered that thought for a fleeting moment. It's doubtful, but hey, it's worth a try.

Anyway, last night I made myself a little ice cream sundae because I deserved a treat. Okay, it wasn't a true ice cream sundae because it didn't have chocolate fudge sauce or nuts or a cherry on top, but it did have whipped cream (and mint chip ice cream!!). Have you noticed how whipped cream makes everything a little more special? I LOVE whipped cream. I love it sugary sweet and light from canister you can get from the supermarket. I love it homemade, with or without sugar. I love it with cinnamon. I love it plain. I am a particularly huge fan of squirting it directly into my mouth straight from the fridge. One friend even suggested ordering the new Chantico drinking chocolate from Starbucks with a large side of whipped cream. She claims is cuts the chocolate intensity just enough that you can actually finish the Chantico. I see touches of genius in this suggestion. This same friend has a professional whipped cream container at home so she can make homemade whipped cream without the whipping part. It's easy to combine the cream and simple syrup, add the pressurized gas, and voila! An almost endless supply of whipped cream. It's particularly delicious served over homemade ice cream, which we did not too long ago. If I bought an ice cream maker, I believe I would have every single kitchen appliance known to man. Maybe that's a good thing.

I would love to continue writing about food right now, but I have to prepare for a meeting. The other reason for my prolonged absence is the enormous amount of work I've taken on lately. I'm a freelance writer, and it's feast or famine in my world. Ha, feast or famine. It always seems to circle back to food. So I hereby promise to myself and to you that I will keep up with my food writing. Thank you all for your continued support. I really means the world to me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Finally, you are back! Now I'm craving ice cream. Thanks for that ;)

8/03/2005 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kept checking you site for new reviews, a way to be connected without actually seeing one another when we are so busy. So pleased you are dating well, working well, and now, again, eating well.

We on the other hand are dieting!

8/03/2005 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back
i missed reading

8/03/2005 6:37 PM  
Blogger barce said...

I'm craving ice cream, too! Thanks for posting again. The foodie dating a non-foodie question was great. I look forward to more interesting questions. Cheers!

8/07/2005 9:01 PM  
Blogger shuna fish lydon said...

welcome back.
whipped cream is a reason for living.
one of the niftiest tricks is cocoa whipped cream. chocolatey but light cloudish yummy.
I'm not usually a fan of texture in whipped cream but the cocoa seems to dissolve in there.

also mint chocolate chip is my favorite.

8/12/2005 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home