Friday, April 15, 2005

Taqueria Cancun, How I Miss You

I woke up this morning thinking about burritos. I just had a burrito the other night for dinner, so there's no good explanation for my craving, except that they're really darn good.

I'll admit I didn't understand the lure of the burrito at the beginning. I remember my friends in high school talking longingly about them. And we'd make special trips to San Francisco just to get them. But at that time I just thought they were food. Now I understand. A burrito is the perfect form of food. It's warm, hearty, satisfying, customizable, delicious, and portable. A good burrito lasts for two meals, or one very long one. Just the other night I went to a friend of a friend's party and we stopped at Chipotle along the way. It was my first trip to Chipotle and I am hooked. They have only a few choices, a la In'n'Out, and you choose your filling and then tell them what other goodies you'd like to throw in. Onions and peppers, guacamole, different salsas, etc. I got the veggie version. I'm going to have hard time getting anything else when I go back, because it was so good. And on the veg version, the guac is free. And guac makes the burrito.

When I moved here two years ago, I went searching for my San Francisco style burrito. Once I finally understood the burrito, it became one of my staple foods, and I had been eating them for the seven years I lived in that amazing city, so I was pretty determined to find something akin to the little burro I love. Alas, LA sports very different Mexican food than SF. And it's taken me a little while to get over my disappointment of not being able to find the burrito joint I long for. But along the way, I have discovered some pretty delicious Mexican food, and now you can benefit from my findings.

For a fabulous foil-wrapped burrito, go to Chipotle. Their ingredients are fresh and flavorful. This is not the sloppy, refried bean burrito you might want. But try it, I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
For a delicious, down-home, burrito mojado, go to Gilbert's El Indio.
For tacos to die for, and a damn fine bean and rice burrito, go to Tito's Tacos. This place is funky. They're sort of taco nazis, as in they look at you funny if you ask for anything different than what's on the menu. But the end result is so good it doesn't matter.

Links to all these places are in the side bar. I'll explore the East side soon and will be sure to get back to you when I do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Well, I'm not a big fan of their burritos. They just don't season things well, so I feel like all their food tastes the same, you're just eating the ingredients in different combinations. Does that makes sense? That said, I think the chipotle glazed chicken salad is good. But if given a choice, I don't go to Baja Fresh if I can help it. If you want a good burrito, try Chipotle. Or explore some of the little hole in the wall places. You can find excellent food that way. And by all means, if you find something great, let me know.

4/15/2005 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home